Skills: Optics, Solid-State Lasers, SolidWorks, MicroSoft Office
Classification: Full-time position
Salary: Negotiable with experience
Travel: 30%, Current passport required
Reports to: Director of Engineering
Relocation services not available
No agencies please
DPSS Lasers Inc. is a leading manufacturer of solid-state laser systems. Based in the Silicon Valley, DPSS offers an exciting fast-paced environment with opportunity for substantial growth. DPSS provides economical, creative solutions to industry needs ranging from semiconductor processing to medical bio-fluorescence. By leveraging its innovative designs and corporate agility, DPSS strives to meet the needs of targeted emerging technologies with a focus on complete customer satisfaction and aggressive revenue growth. For more information, visit: www.dpss-lasers.com .
The Service/Manufacturing Engineer is responsible for providing technical knowledge to customers and potential customers. Travel is required for onsite customer service support. This person will design and develop manufacturing processes for new products, changes, and enhancements. Other responsibilities include facilitating supply, manufacture, assembly, and test activities toward reduced waste and lower cost targets. This engineer will coordinate decision-making for in-house manufacture or outside supplier. The Service/Manufacturing Engineer will work with product development staff to ensure that new products can be manufactured while achieving cost targets. This engineer will provide support for the resolution of product complaints/safety issues. This role will report to the Director of Engineering.
As Service Engineer
· Provide field technical support to customers, including after-hours, holiday, and weekend phone/onsite support.
· Assure optimum equipment uptime for customers/distributors by quickly responding to customer reported problems, and troubleshoot while managing expectations via phone and email.
· Maintain records of field service issues and actions. Use data to drive improvement of product and processes.
· Foster continually improved relations with existing customers.
· Maintain and continuously improve knowledge of wide-ranging laser applications, including the expanding DPSS product line and increasing variety of customer industries and types.
· Develop and maintain service-oriented documentation such as Standard Operating Procedures, Field Service Procedures, and Installation/Service Manuals.
· Weave Service and Manufacturing roles, experience, data, and goals to mutually benefit both aspects of DPSS.
As Manufacturing Engineer
· Responsible for all technical aspects of each laser product, including electrical, mechanical, and optical designs.
· Regularly monitor and analyze laser performance with respect to power and beam quality.
· Communicate laser metrics to management for collaboration on sales/service strategy, production planning, and design modifications.
· Optimize laser performance including complex, hands-on, intricate analysis and alignment of laser cavities, laser crystals and other internal optics, and free-space optical components.
· Lead a continuous improvement program to plan, design, and implement improvements that will enhance the performance, reliability, and operability of the laser products.
· Provide ongoing technical support to production line for equipment, process, and design-related issues.
· Work with manufacturing to document processes, ensure operators are trained, and ensure best practices are followed.
· Implement changes to continuously improve manufacturing systems in quality, cost, cycle time, and capacity.
· Review and approve supplier process controls. Interact with vendors to improve part quality and cost. Procure and oversee outside vendors and consultants as required.
· Maintain spares inventory and provide input on parts usage and failures.
· Perform maintenance including calibrations, hardware/software upgrades, and verification of system specifications.
· Evaluate proposed designs and processes for manufacturability with associated recommendations for improvements.
· Organize, maintain, update, and develop documentation for manufacturing and service, including mechanical and assembly drawings, vendor manuals, operating manuals, and operational procedures.
· Provide regular communication update to Sales, Engineering, and Management teams.
- B.S. Degree in an Engineering discipline or equivalent
- 3-5 years of related experience
- Excellent written and spoken communications skills
- Customer/client focus
- Experience with manufacturing process control and quality control
- Knowledge of manufacturing best practices
- Exceptional time management and multi-tasking skills
Additional Qualifications Considered:
- Organizational skills
- Laser experience
- Supervisory experience highly desired
- Personal effectiveness/credibility
- Results driven
This position is responsible for the design, assembly and controls integration of machines for custom automation projects.
The candidate should be able to:
- Meet with the customer to determine their needs.
- Originate and refine machine concepts to provide the best solution.
- Orchestrate and augment the mechanical design of the equipment.
- Manage the purchasing, assembly, controls integration, acceptance testing and installation of equipment.
Candidate should have a working knowledge of SolidWorks, AutoCAD and automation software programming for PLCs. This will include PLC Ladder logic, device configuration, communications configuration and integration of unlike devices.
- Research components and devices for integration into equipment.
- Design various mechanical components for fabrication.
- Sourcing of vendors/contractors for purchased and custom components.
- Management of out-sourced activities for completion and delivery.
- Originate new and integrate existing software for system control and implementation.
- Qualify the final automated systems for customer buy-off.
- Create documentation for the applications including operations, user guide, etc.
- B.S. Degree in Engineering with emphasis on Mechatronics.
- 5+ years of experience in automation development, design and implementation.
- Design experience with SolidWorks.
- Strong technical knowledge of programming languages and hardware interfaces.
- Experience with PLC programming (Ladder Logic) and hardware (Allen-Bradley).
- Experience with electro-mechanical design.
- Experience in C++ or Visual Basic a plus.
- Exceptional organizational skills.
MAIL: DPSS Lasers Inc.
2525 Walsh Ave.
Santa Clara, CA 95051
FAX: (408) 988.4305